Thursday, September 13, 2007

Russell Crow, Cameron Crow, Gregory Peck...

If asked, many of my friends would say that my favorite bird is the puffin. I probably would've agreed, until recently, when I've realized that I am drawn to and most fond of crows. The somewhat awkward way they walk through the backyard grass. Some may find their noises shrill and loud, but I consider them a call to attention. I always encourage the cats to come watch them with me.

So I let my newfound fondness for the dark fowl lead me to more information about them.

  • Most people know, but may have forgotten, that a group of crows is called a murder.
  • They rank at the top of the avian IQ scale - smarter than all other birds.
  • When in need, they use tools to help them get food. They will drop thick-shelled seeds onto busy streets, so cars will run them over and crack the shells for them. They use bread crumbs to bait fish to the water's surface.
  • They represent the spiritual transition into the afterlife - not to be confused with representing death.
  • It is said that when robbers attacked the home of the first Dalai Lama (when he was a child), his parents fled. Upon their return, they found 2 Crows caring for the young bodhisattva.
  • They heralded the birth of the 14th Dalai Lama (the current one).
  • They are significant symbols in most non-Christian faiths, associated with the afterlife in some, with birth in others.
  • In Greek Mythology, when crows gave Athena bad news, she turned their feathers black.
  • They once idolized a man named Homer Simpson.

1 comment:

Cahen said...

Sorry, can't agree with you on this one. You know how I feel about any bird that might suddenly, for no reason whatsoever, fly straight at my head and make me scream like a girl.