Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Feeling free

Today feels like the day to restart my journal. I’ve been thinking about it for a while. But there hadn’t been much I thought merited recording.

I finished The Favourite Game by Leonard Cohen today. It is beautiful, honest. His words carve images in stone, but as delicately as a falling leaf creates a ripple in a quiet stream. I’m not normally someone who corners pages in a book, but couldn’t help myself. I didn’t want to break to find a post-it (which I normally have handy, but didn’t because of the move) and I needed to have quick access to some of the text.

“Lead me away from safety.”

Of all the powerful notions he writes, this is the one that sings to me today.

I love living in Portland. We have a small but promising group of friends. There’s more to discover than we’ll ever have time – in the city and in the surrounding forests and mountains. And, the food – oh the food. But what I love most is how alive I feel being free from the things I thought I needed – a career, a house, a plasma tv, and on and on.

My mind and my heart are reopening. My creativity is blossoming. My senses are reawakening.

(Thanks to Jon Bloom for recommending the book.)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hey Bobby - This is great and I love the picture. Jonathan is glad you liked the book. It is one of his favourites (notice the spelling). Jonathan has another suggestion for you in case you are interested since you liked the COhen book - anything by Milan Kundera or Tobias Wolff. I am so glad you are feeling feeling freer and more creative - but life without the plasma TV??? not sure about that one:-) We miss you!

Scott said...

The hell you don't need a plasma TV.

That will change, my friend. On some cold snowy Portland night, you'll want to cuddle by the glow of a 42inch as it shows It's A Wonderful Life.

You'll see...you'll see.