Sunday, November 4, 2007

Catching up

The week just got ahead of me...so now it's time to play catch-up.

Last weekend, we went back to LA for our god daughter's blessing ceremony (I officiated it). We had the blessing at The Inn Of The Seventh Ray, tucked away in Topanga Canyon. It was a lovely service, if I do say so myself. Frida didn't take her eyes off of me the whole service. Several folks cried - and I always say I must've done a good job if people cried. Everyone agreed - brunch at the Inn Of The Seventh Ray was enchanting. I especially loved the brown rice with avocado and sea veggies.

Alex and Rory are already proving themselves as great parents. And, Frida: She's perfect. Her passionate eyes pull you in. Don't believe me? See the pictures for proof. Frida's Blessing Weekend

While in town for Frida's blessing, we also got to celebrate one of our favorite holidays at the best place to celebrate it: Day of the Dead at Hollywood Forever. There's nothing else like it in the US. Beautifully decorated altars, live music, food, vendors, incense, candles...and did I mention it's in one of the most beautiful cemeteries in the country? Check out some pics: Day Of The Dead

And, then, back in Portland, I got to take part in the Day of the Dead festivities here. While I was in the Pearl District for First Thursday (monthly art gallery openings), I stumbled upon a travelling Day of the Dead party. A 12-15 person percussion band being followed by a party of dancers, all dressed in Day of the Dead costumes (several on stilts). The coolest costumes: the ghostly puppeteer making his marionnette dance, while his spooky lady-friend (dressed just like the doll) performed all of the doll's actions. I followed the party, danced a bit and watched the show. Then, moved on to more galleries.

Busy week, more to write...later.

No comments: